Soccer Referee Information
The primary responsibility of the referees officiating St. Charles CYC soccer matches is to ensure player safety.Updated Saturday September 1, 2018 by Mike Cahill.
UPDATED on 8/9/18 at 1:50PM
2018 St. Charles Soccer Referee Training Information
For the 2018 CYC St. Charles Soccer season, to be eligible to referee games, each referee must complete the a few things:
All of the information below is for the 2018 soccer season. The referee test will be shorter this year, which means that the pass/fail margin will be slimmer. The key to passing the written test is to READ and USE the 2018 CYC soccer rules and 2018 St. Charles CYC supplemental soccer rules. (There are a few differences between FIFA, USSF, NFHS and CYC soccer laws or rules)
1. Complete the on-line test which you can access via the link listed below. This is an open book test consisting of 25 questions. You must answer at least 80 percent of the questions correctly to be eligible to referee soccer for the CYC. That comes to 20 correct answers. Use the 2018 CYC soccer rule book, the St. Charles Soccer Supplemental rules, the 2017 CYC Soccer Officials Hand Signals document and the information contained on this page to answer the questions. The test can be completed a maximum of 2 times, if you don't get at least 20 of them correct the first time. Quite frankly, we don't need officials working our games that can't pass an open book test in two tries...
2. New referees are should required to attend a classroom type referee training sessions put on by their parish or another parish this summer. These sessions are for NEW referees and all referees who want to improve/review their knowledge of the laws of the game and application of those laws. At these training sessions, which will last between 2.5 to 3 hours, we will spend a short time going over a few administrative parts of being a referee, then we will spend the bulk of the time discussing the laws of the game and application of those laws.
3. We will hold one referee field mechanic training session at the District level for ALL referees to attend, if they cannot attend one put on by their parish. (Attend one of these sessions) The time on the field will include proper referee positioning in the two man system, application of the rules of the game and anything else that needs to be covered while we are on the field. Since we will be spending the bulk of our time on the field, each participant should wear clothing that will be comfortable based on the weather conditions and bring something to drink. There are no guarantees that drinks will be provided, although we plan to do so. ALL REFEREES ARE HIGHLY ENCOURAGED TO ATTEND THE TRAINING AS IT WILL BE MOSTLY MECHANICS WORK THIS YEAR. New referees are required to attend the the training. Training dates, times and locations are listed below (or will be soon).
4. Additionally, each referee is required to join the CYC-SOA (Sport Officials Association), at a cost of $5.00 per referee. The $5.00 cost covers each referee's premium payment for the liability insurance coverage received by joining the CYC-SOA. This is mandatory, as each referee is considered an independent contractor. Each referee is required to join the CYC-SOA to make sure that all of our referees have insurance coverage, and to keep the cost of the insurance down for each referee. So, even if you referee games for MSHSAA, you still must join the CYC-SOA. This is a yearly cost and the time covered goes from August thru July (much like the school year). If you haven't already registered. Here is a link for the CYC-SOA: https://catholicyouthcouncilsportsofficialsassociation.siplay.com/site/
5. Most parish require referees that work games at their fields to be compliant with Archdiocesan child safety requirements, so anyone that is 18 years old and graduated from high school will likely be required to have completed the PGC program and background check requirements. The parishes and/or sport associations should be requiring each referee to submit a completed W-9 form for tax purposes too.
Soccer Referee Classroom Training session dates:
Wednesday, August 15th at 6pm in the Sts. Joachim and Ann cafeteria. (cafeteria is located on back side of school building at basement level)
Friday, August 24th at 6pm in the Sts. Joachim and Ann cafeteria. (cafeteria is located on back side of school building at basement level)
Other classes as determined by parishes
Soccer Referee Field Mechanics Training session dates:
Determined by parishes AND on Sunday, Sept. 2 from 1:30pm to 4pm at the Knights of Columbus fields (5701 State Highway N, Cottleville, MO 63304)
St. Charles CYC 2018 Soccer Referee Test link:
If you have questions regarding the soccer referee training or testing, contact Mike Cahill @ firstname.lastname@example.org
|FIFA offside presentation.pdf|
|CYC Soccer Officials Hand Signals|
|Soccer Field Diagram - 2017|
|2018 CYC Soccer Rulebook.pdf|
|2018 St. Charles CYC Soccer Rule Amendments|