Soccer Referee Information
The primary responsibility of the referees officiating St. Charles CYC soccer matches is to ensure player safety.Updated Tuesday August 1, 2017 by Mike Cahill.
UPDATED on 8/1/17 at 12:35pm
2017 St. Charles Soccer Referee Training Information
For the 2017 CYC St. Charles Soccer season, to be eligible to referee games, each referee must complete the a few things:
1. Complete the on-line test which you can access via the link listed below. This is an open book test consisting of 90 questions. You must answer at least 80 percent of the questions correctly to be eligible to referee soccer for the CYC. That comes to 72 correct answers. Use the 2017 CYC soccer rule book, the St. Charles Soccer Supplemental rules, the 2017 CYC Soccer Officials Hand Signals document and the information contained on this page to answer the questions. The test can be completed more than one time, if you don't get at least 72 of them correct.
2. New referees are required to attend one of the three classroom type referee training sessions this summer. Again, these two sessions are for NEW referees and all referees who want to improve/review their knowledge of the laws of the game and application of those laws. At these training sessions, which will last between 2.5 to 3 hours, we will spend a short time going over a few administrative parts of being a referee, then we will spend the bulk of the time discussing the laws of the game and application of those laws.
3. We will hold two referee field mechanic training sessions for ALL referees to attend. (Attend one of these sessions) The time on the field will include proper referee positioning in the two man system, application of the rules of the game and anything else that needs to be covered while we are on the field. Since we will be spending the bulk of our time on the field, each participant should wear clothing that will be comfortable, based on the weather conditions and bring something to drink. There are no guarantees that drinks will be provided, although we plan to do so. ALL REFEREES ARE HIGHLY ENCOURAGED TO ATTEND THE TRAINING AS IT WILL BE MOSTLY MECHANICS WORK THIS YEAR. New referees are required to attend the the training. Training dates, times and locations are listed below (or will be soon).
4. Additionally, each referee is required to join the CYC-SOA (Sport Officials Association), at a cost of $5.00 per referee. The $5.00 cost covers each referee's premium payment for the liability insurance coverage received by joining the CYC-SOA. This is needed, as each referee is considered an independent contractor. Each referee is required to join the CYC-SOA to make sure that all of our referees have insurance coverage, and to keep the cost of the insurance down for each referee. So, even if you referee games for MSHSAA, you still need to joint the CYC-SOA. This is a yearly cost and the time covered goes from August thru July (much like the school year). Please wait until August 1st, 2017 to register for the 2017/2018 CYC sport season, if you haven't already registered. Here is a link for the CYC-SOA: https://catholicyouthcouncilsportsofficialsassociation.siplay.com/site/
5. Most parish require referees that work games at their fields to be compliant with Archdiocesan child safety requirements, so anyone that is 18 years old and graduated from high school will likely be required to have completed the PGC program and background check requirements. The parishes and/or sport associations should be requiring each referee to submit a completed W-9 form for tax purposes too.
Soccer Referee Classroom Training session dates:
Sunday, July 30th from 6:30pm to 9pm in the St. Joseph - Cottleville school cafeteria.
Thursday, August 3rd, from 7:00pm to 9:30pm, in the All Saints Parish cafeteria.
Sunday, August 20th, from 3:30pm to 6pm, in the St. Joseph - Cottleville school cfeteria. (Note that there is a field mechanic training session at 6:30pm on this same day at the same location, so you can knock both out at once on this date)
Soccer Referee Field Mechanics Training session dates:
Sunday, August 13th at 6:30pm to 8:30pm at the St. Joseph - Cottleville soccer field, located on the parish property - NOT the KC fields.
Sunday, August 20th at 6:30pm to 8:30pm at the St. Joseph - Cottleville soccer field, located on the parish property - NOT the KC fields.
St. Charles CYC 2017 Soccer Referee Test link:
If you have questions regarding the soccer referee training or testing, contact Mike Cahill @ email@example.com
|2017 CYC Soccer Rulebook.pdf|
|2017 St. Charles CYC Soccer Rule Amendments.pdf|
|FIFA offside presentation.pdf|
|2017 CYC Soccer Officials Hand Signals.pdf|
|Soccer Field Diagram - 2017.pdf|
|St Charles CYC REFEREE TRAINING 2017.pdf|