Soccer Referee Information
The primary responsibility of the referees officiating St. Charles CYC soccer matches is to ensure player safety.Updated Thursday July 18, 2019 by Mike Cahill.
2019 St. Charles Soccer Referee Training Information
For the 2019 CYC St. Charles Soccer season, to be eligible to officiate games, each referee must complete the following:
All of the information below is for the 2019 soccer season. The key to passing the written test is to READ and USE the 2019 CYC soccer rulebook and 2019 St. Charles CYC supplemental soccer rules. (There are a few differences between FIFA, USSF, NFHS and CYC soccer laws or rules)
1. Complete the on-line test which you can access via the link listed below. This is an open book test consisting of 25 questions. You must answer at least 80 percent of the questions correctly to be eligible to referee soccer for the CYC. That comes to 20 correct answers. Use the 2019 CYC soccer rulebook, the 2019 St. Charles CYC Soccer Rule Amendments, and the CYC Soccer Officials Hand Signals document to answer the questions. The test can be completed a maximum of 2 times, if you don't pass the test the first time you can take it again.
2. New referees are required to attend one of the classroom referee training sessions highlighted below. These sessions are for NEW referees and all referees who want to improve/review their knowledge of the laws of the game and application of those laws. At these training sessions, which will last between 2.5 to 3 hours, we will spend a short time going over a few administrative parts of being a referee, then we will spend the bulk of the time discussing the laws of the game and application of those laws.
3. The St. Charles district will hold two referee field mechanic training sessions for ALL referees to attend. In addition, certain parishes may hold their own field mechanic training sessions. Please check with your parish referee coordinator for dates/times. The time on the field will include proper referee positioning in the two man system, application of the rules of the game and anything else that needs to be covered while we are on the field. Since we will be spending the bulk of our time on the field, each participant should wear clothing that will be comfortable based on the weather conditions and bring something to drink. New referees are required to attend the the training, but attendance by ALL referees is highly encouraged. Training dates, times and locations are listed below.
4. Additionally, each referee is required to join the CYC-SOA (Sport Officials Association), at a cost of $5.00 per referee. The cost covers each referee's premium payment for the liability insurance coverage. This is mandatory, as each referee is considered an independent contractor. Please note that even if you referee games for MSHSAA, you still must join the CYC-SOA. This is a yearly cost and the time covered goes from August thru July (much like the school year). If you haven't already registered. Here is a link for the CYC-SOA: https://catholicyouthcouncilsportsofficialsassociation.siplay.com/site/
5. Most parishes require referees who work games at their fields be compliant with Archdiocesan child safety requirements, so anyone that is 18 years old and graduated from high school will likely be required to have completed the Protecting God's Children program and background check requirements. The parishes and/or sport associations will require that each official submit a completed W-9 form for tax purposes. Please note the above requirements only need to be completed prior to your first season of officiating. There is no need to refresh these requirements annually.
Soccer Referee Field Mechanics Training session dates:
Sunday, August 18, 2019 (600pm-800pm) Immaculate Conception - Dardenne Soccer Complex
7701 State Highway N, Dardenne Prairie, Missouri 63368 (located at the back of the campus off of White Birch Lane)
Other classes as determined by parishes
Soccer Referee Classroom Training session dates:
Sunday, August 4, 2019 (600pm - 900pm) Sts. Joachim and Ann (school cafeteria)
4110 McClay Rd, St Peters, Missouri 63304
Monday, August 12, 2019 (600pm - 900pm) St. Joseph - Cottleville (Parish Hall)
1355 Motherhead Road, Cottleville, Missouri 63304
St. Charles CYC 2019 Soccer Referee Test link:
If you have questions regarding the soccer referee training or testing, contact Mike Cahill @ email@example.com
|FIFA offside presentation.pdf|
|CYC Soccer Officials Hand Signals|
|Soccer Field Diagram - 2017|
|2019 CYC Soccer Rulebook.pdf|
|2019 St. Charles CYC Soccer Rule Amendments.pdf|